Thank You Ted Hinderer of Quality Home Inspections A video on the Hazards of Carbon Monoxide Gas!
Updated 11-30-2010 /Carbon monoxide blamed in two deaths in South Bend
By CLIFTON FRENCH
SOUTH BEND – Two South Bend men were found dead in their home on Orange Street on Saturday, according to police.
Police said 30-year-old Daniel Shivers and 39-year-old Victor Smith died of apparent carbon monoxide poisoning.
Police were called to a home in the 2500 block of Orange Street at 8:30 p.m. Police said Smith’s brother had told them he hadn’t seen him in a couple of days.
When officers arrived, they said the house was completely secure and mail was piled up in the mailbox, according to Capt. Phil Trent of the South Bend Police Department.
Trent said the responding officer had to remove a window air conditioning unit to get inside. But when the officer tried to enter, the carbon monoxide was so heavy he couldn’t breathe.
Trent said firefighters had to ventilate the home before officers could enter.
Police said there was no sign of foul play.
The coroner on the scene determined the cause of deaths as accidental.
Don’t become a statistic! Have a carbon Monoxide Detector and know how to use it. (Be sure to check out the video at the bottom)
***NY man dies of carbon monoxide poisoning in home
***Authorities say a 54-year-old man found dead inside his suburban Rochester home was a victim of carbon monoxide poisoning
***Two friends died as they slept, suspected case of carbon monoxide poisoning, it was revealed today.
What is Carbon Monoxide and why do I need a Carbon Monoxide Detector?
Carbon Monoxide Detector in an Outlet
Carbon monoxide (CO) is an odorless, colorless and potentially dangerous gas produced when fuel burns without enough air for complete combustion. Symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning include fatigue, headache, dizziness, nausea, coughing, irregular breathing, paleness and cherry red lips and ears.
If symptoms are noticed, it is advised that you immediately open windows and doors to ventilate the home or structure, call 911 and get outside into fresh air. Later, have appliances checked carefully by a qualified heating contractor.
Purchase and install a carbon monoxide detector on each level of your home and near sleeping areas, in rooms over or near a garage, in the basement or other isolated area, and in rooms where space heaters are used. Detectors that have been verified by Underwriters Laboratory (UL) and have been manufactured after October 1995 conform to minimum alarm requirements. Those marked UL 2034 or IAS 6–96 have met the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission guidelines. Follow the directions for installing and using the detector carefully.
To help prevent carbon monoxide poisoning:
Ø Have your chimney and flue cleaned every year.
Ø Get a qualified inspector to check appliances and heating systems each year.
Ø Be sure all home appliances have adequate ventilation.
Ø Don’t rely on carbon monoxide detectors as a substitute for maintaining appliances, furnaces or chimneys.
Ø Be sure burner flames in appliances and heating systems are blue, not orange.
Ø Never use a gas range for space heating.
Ø Never run an automobile or gasoline engine in an enclosed space.
Ø Never use a charcoal grill indoors.
Carbon Monoxide Detectors
Different from Smoke Detectors
By Anne Marie Helmenstine, Ph.D., About.com Guide
According to the Journal of the American Medical Association, carbon monoxide poisoning is the leading cause of accidental poisoning deaths in America. Carbon monoxide detectors are available, but you need to understand how they work and what their limitations are in order to decide whether or not you need a detector and, if you purchase a detector, how to use it to get the best protection.
What is Carbon Monoxide?
Carbon monoxide is an odorless, tasteless, invisible gas. Each carbon monoxide molecule is composed of a single carbon atom bonded to a single oxygen atom. Carbon monoxide results from the incomplete combustion of fossil fuels, such as wood, kerosene, gasoline, charcoal, propane, natural gas, and oil.
Where is Carbon Monoxide Found?
Carbon monoxide is present in low levels in the air. In the home, it is formed from incomplete combustion from any flame-fueled (i.e., not electric) device, including ranges, ovens, clothes dryers, furnaces, fireplaces, grills, space heaters, vehicles, and water heaters. Furnaces and water heaters may be sources of carbon monoxide, but if they are vented properly the carbon monoxide will escape to the outside. Open flames, such as from ovens and ranges, are the most common source of carbon monoxide. Vehicles are the most common cause of carbon monoxide poisoning.
How Do Carbon Monoxide Detectors Work?
Carbon monoxide detectors trigger an alarm based on an accumulation of carbon monoxide over time. Carbon monoxide can harm you if you are exposed to high levels of carbon monoxide in a short period of time, or to lower levels of carbon monoxide over a long period of time. Carbon monoxide detectors require a continuous power supply, so if the power cuts off then the alarm becomes ineffective. Models are available that offer back-up battery power.
Why is Carbon Monoxide Dangerous?
When carbon monoxide is inhaled, it passes from the lungs into the hemoglobin molecules of red blood cells. Carbon monoxide binds to hemoglobin at the same site as and preferentially to oxygen, forming carboxyhemoglobin. Carboxyhemoglobin interferes with the oxygen transport and gas exchange abilities of red blood cells. The result is that the body becomes oxygen-starved, which can result in tissue damage and death. Low levels of carbon monoxide poisoning cause symptoms similar to those of the flu or a cold, including shortness of breath on mild exertion, mild headaches, and nausea. Higher levels of poisoning lead to dizziness, mental confusion, severe headaches, nausea, and fainting on mild exertion. Ultimately, carbon monoxide poisoning can result in unconsciousness, permanent brain damage, and death. Carbon monoxide detectors are set to sound an alarm before the exposure to carbon monoxide would present a hazard to a healthy adult. Babies, children, pregnant women, people with circulatory or respiratory ailments, and the elderly are more sensitive to carbon monoxide than healthy adults.
Where Should I Place a Carbon Monoxide Detector?
Because carbon monoxide is slightly lighter than air and also because it may be found with warm, rising air, detectors should be placed on a wall about 5 feet above the floor. The detector may be placed on the ceiling. Do not place the detector right next to or over a fireplace or flame-producing appliance. Keep the detector out of the way of pets and children. Each floor needs a separate detector. If you getting a single carbon monoxide detector, place it near the sleeping area and make certain the alarm is loud enough to wake you up.
What Do I Do if the Alarm Sounds?
Don’t ignore the alarm! It is intended to go off before you are experiencing symptoms. Silence the alarm, get all members of the household to fresh air, and ask whether anyone is experiencing any of the symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning. If anyone is experiencing symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning, call 911. If no one has symptoms, ventilate the building, identify and remedy the source of the carbon monoxide before returning inside, and have appliances or chimneys checked by a professional as soon as possible.
Additional Carbon Monoxide Concerns and Information
Don’t automatically assume that you need or don’t need a carbon monoxide detector. Also, don’t assume that you are safe from carbon monoxide poisoning just because you have a detector installed. Carbon monoxide detectors are intended to protect healthy adults, so take the ages and health of family members into account when assessing the effectiveness of a detector. Also, be aware that the average life span of many carbon monoxide detectors is about 2 years. The ‘test’ feature on many detectors checks the functioning of the alarm and not the status of the detector. There are detectors that last longer, indicate when they need to be replaced, and have power supply backups — you need to check to see whether a particular model has the features you require. When deciding whether or not to purchase a carbon monoxide detector, you need to consider not only the number and type of carbon monoxide sources, but also the construction of the building. Newer building may have more airtight construction and may be better insulated, which make it easier for carbon monoxide to accumulate.
Recent Chemistry Features
More Combustion Chemistry
* State of Matter of Fire
* Candle Chemistry
* How to Color Fire
New posts to the Chemistry forums:
* chemistry/ this is a tough one
* chemistry please help
More Chemistry Safety
* How Smoke Detectors Work
* Chemistry Lab Safety
* Chemical Weapons & Warfare Agents
* Carbon Monoxide Poisoning – Carbon Monoxide Poisoning Description – Carbon …
* Fire Safety – Home Fire Safety Tips
* Carbon Monoxide Detectors – Carbon Monoxide Detector Types – Choosing Carbo…
* Carbon Monoxide Symptoms – Readers Share Carbon Monoxide Poisoning Symptoms
* Ways to Protect Your Family From Carbon Monoxide Poisoning
Anne Marie Helmenstine, Ph.D.
Anne Marie Helmenstine, Ph.D.
CO2 Sensors, Wall & DuctCO2, Temp Humidity Sensors Lowest CO2 Sensors Priceswww.AlpsControls.com
Buy Portable Gas DetectorAffordable & Easy to Carry Around. Reads 6 Combinations of Toxic Gaseswww.MajorSafety.com/PortableMonitor
Portable Gas DetectorBuy Portable Multi Gas Detectors Here. Order Today.www.professionalequipment.com
check out this video about the dangers of Carbon Monoxide – it’s not something to take lightly.