I had a favorite cousin when I was younger, her name was Julie. Julie and I were the same age; she was born in February on a leap year day and I was born 3 weeks later. We were the best of friends growing up but in the spring of our 8th grade, while lifting her leg up to put it on the balance beam in PE, Julie felt a snap in her hip and a knot popped out. When she was taken to the doctor to see what it was, she was diagnosed with cancer. By the fall of our Freshman year, Julie died. Cancer took her that quickly. Children should not have to deal with cancer nor should their family and friends. Below I’ve posted information from Alex’s Lemonade site of 30 ways we can raise awareness and funds throughout the month of September. I hope you too will help.
30 Days In September ~ 30 Ways That You Can Help Raise Awareness And Funds Throughout The Month
Courtesy of: http://www.alexslemonade.org/
Join Alex’s Lemonade Stand Foundation as we commemorate National Childhood Cancer Awareness Month and spotlight just how important raising funds and awareness for childhood cancer remains.
FACT: Cancer is the leading cause of death by disease in children under the age of 15 in the United States.
Below are 30 ways that you can help raise awareness and funds throughout the month. Go to their site at 30 Ways that you can help raise awareness and funds throughout the month for the clickable links.
- Display your support for ALSF by adding a Twibbon. You can add an image to your Facebook profile picture or your Twitter picture.
- Register online for a Strawberry Shortcake Lemonade Stand. We’ve teamed up with Strawberry Shortcake during September to bring as much awareness to childhood cancer as possible and we want you to be a part of it! Register now and $50 will be donated to your fundraising page.
- Leap for Life! You can skydive at any location during the weekend of September 24 – 25 to benefit children with cancer.
- Check out the events we have and register for one today! For example, we have Lemon Runs coming up in Philadelphia, San Diego and Kansas City. You don’t want to miss some of our amazing events!
- Brighten someone’s day by sending flowers! From now until the end of September, you can send someone a bouquet from Teleflora’s Sunny Day Collection and 10% will be donated to fight childhood cancer.
- We update our blog each week – sign up online so you can receive an update as soon as it’s posted! We usually blog about ALSF updates, opportunities to get involved and sometimes have some great guest bloggers!
- Since Alex was diagnosed in 1997, over 2 million more children worldwide have suffered because of cancer. These kids all have hopes and dreams of long lives. They all inspire those who know them with their bravery, strength, and love of life. They are all heroes.
- Do you ever search for anything online? Now when you use a search engine, money can be sent to help kids fighting cancer with each search. Simply download the toolbar from Good Search and select ALSF as your charity of choice.
- Consider purchasing “Alex and the Amazing Lemonade Stand” online. It’s the true story of Alexandra “Alex” Scott and her courageous, inspiring battle against childhood cancer – using a lemonade stand. It was written by Alex’s parents (with help from Alex)
- Visit our You Tube channel and find a video you like. Then share it on your social networks to help spread some awareness! We have a lot of fun videos to choose from!
- Take a moment to connect with us on our social media websites – you’ll have all the latest updates and see how we’re using our funds to fight childhood cancer.
- Do you know someone who was diagnosed with childhood cancer? If so, they can become a HERO on our website. Simply encourage their parent or guardian to tell their story online to help us spread more awareness.
- September 12 is National Childhood Cancer Awareness DAY. Will you show your support online by changing your profile picture? If so, choose one of the photos we provide and make it your profile picture for one whole day!
- If you’re a young professional in the Philadelphia area, grab a friend and join our young professionals group, The Lemon Society of Philadelphia! It’s a great way to raise funds for ALSF, network, make friends and have fun.
- Make a wish – a birthday wish! By registering online, you can ask your family and friends to donate to your wish instead of giving you presents this year (you can still register even if your birthday is next year!).
- Become a volunteer for ALSF. Click here to find out what types of opportunities we have for you. It’s fun and rewarding!
- Register online for Team Lemon. Reach your athletic goals while raising money to help fight childhood cancer. Discover the perks of being a part of Team Lemon and sign up today!
- Get rid of some of that old stuff and sell it online! With Mission Fish, you can list your items for sale and choose a percentage of your sales to benefit a charity of your choice!
- Consider becoming a Hero Ambassador! Our program connects families with opportunities to help us raise awareness and educate the community about childhood cancer.
- Purchase a cup of lemonade – virtual lemonade! Visit Volvo’s Lemonade Stand for Life to purchase a cup for yourself or even send some to friends.
- During September, $5 will be donated on your behalf for asking Avvo a medical related question! Ask away and tell all of your friends.
- Why not get your company involved in the fight against childhood cancer? We have a website with great ideas on how your company or business can get involved today!
- Download our app to your smart phone! Currently available in Apple’s App Store and on the Android Market, you’ll receive volunteer opportunities and fun updates!
- Check out the fundraising page for our current Event Spotlight! Consider making a donation to help them reach their goal — as Alex always said, “every dollar makes a difference.”
- ALSF is all about children! Visit our “Kids Corner” for different ways kids can support ALSF. You’ll also find some fun activities there too!
- Consider doing some online shopping today in our gift shop! We have a lot of great new items to show off your support!
- Register to hold a fundraiser with us. It can be a traditional lemonade stand or any type of event!
- If you’re a college student, you need to learn more about The Lemon League! Visit the website to discover how you can get your college or university involved in raising funds for ALSF. If you know a college student who might be interested, pass along the info!
- Find your local Ronald McDonald House online – connect with them via social media or even volunteer to make dinner for the families staying there one night. There are plenty of opportunities at your local Ronald McDonald House waiting for you.
- September 30 is the last day of National Childhood Cancer Awareness Month! Text message “CANCER” to 85944 to make a $5 donation to help us fight childhood cancer and encourage your family and friends to do the same. Let’s fight childhood cancer together, one cup at a time.